2018 GSA : High Resolution Topography and 3D Imaging I: Introduction to Structure from Motion (SfM) Photogrammetry short course
2018 Geological Society of America Annual Meeting Short Course, Indianapolis, IN
510. High Resolution Topography and 3D Imaging I: Introduction to Structure from Motion (SfM) Photogrammetry short course
Saturday November 3nrd, 8 a.m.–5 p.m., JW Marriott, Room 304
Instructors: Ramon Arrowsmith, Arizona State Univ.; Christopher Crosby and Brendan Hodge, UNAVCO
Supported by: UNAVCO & OpenTopography
Abstract: Structure from Motion (SfM), a photogrammetric technique that uses overlapping images to construct 3D surface models, is quickly emerging as a valuable research and education tool in geodesy, geomorphology, structural geology, and related disciplines. Images can be collected with a standard consumer-grade camera, making SfM a low-cost tool that compliments other 3D imaging technologies, such as terrestrial and airborne laser scanning (lidar). SfM can be collected from a hand-held camera or an airborne platform such as an aircraft, tethered balloon, kite, or UAS (unmanned aerial system), enabling 3D imaging of features ranging in size from decimeters to several kilometers. This one-day course will provide faculty, students, and professionals with an introduction to SfM technology, data collection and processing, and examples of science and educational applications. A combination of lectures and hands-on demonstrations of SfM equipment and data processing will be used.
- Professional Edition of Agisoft Photoscan (commercial, multi-platform. We will use the free demo mode.)
- CloudCompare (multi-platform, open source software)
8:00 AM Welcome & Course Introduction
8:30 AM Intro to SfM & scientific motivations – high-resolution topography and 3D imaging
- Science Motivations
- Kyrgyzstan examples of evolving field methods
- Introduction to SfM Photogrammetry
9:30 AM Break
9:45 AM Faraglione, Vulcano Island, Sicily, Italy demo
- Faraglione 30 image sample dataset (.zip)
- Faraglione SfM products (.zip)
- Faraglione metadata - dataset source: 10.5069/G9WD3XPD
- Video tutorial (designed for this sample dataset)
10:45 AM Overview of SfM data acquisition concepts
- UNAVCO UAS & FAA regulations
12:00 PM Lunch on your own. While out, take some pictures for afternoon session, start moving images off your phone.
1:00 PM Hands-on demonstration of SfM workflow: Participants photograph objects near short course venue, transfer images to computer, process data to simple 3D models using AgiSoft PhotoScan software.
Show and tell of the models
2:30 PM Fourmile differencing
- Fourmile Canyon 2010 lidar (.las)
- Fourmile Canyon 2014 SfM (.las)
- Tutorial (pdf)
3:45 PM UNAVCO education resources on SfM and related topics
- Analyzing High Resolution Topography with TLS and SfM (SERC-hosted resources and curriculum for field education with TLS and SfM)
- UNAVCO Geodesy Field Education resources (links to UNAVCO support resources for field education, including TLS and SfM).
4:15 PM Future trends, computing resources, 3D printing, Afternoon session Q&A and concluding thoughts.
5:00 PM Adjourn
- UNAVCO Explained in 3 Minutes video
- UNAVCO Structure from Motion manuals:
- Structure from Motion guide - practical considerations, cameras, collection platforms, software, field methods.
- Structure from Motion AgiSoft processing guide